Over the last year or so coconut oil has been all over the place. In the kitchen, in the bathroom and even within makeup routines. This made me think about all the possible beauty uses. I did my research and found a few that I hadn’t heard of to add to the ones I had and then share in this blog post!
- Oil Pulling – this is my personal favourite use. You can see my post here. Oil pulling detoxes the mouth, freshens your breath and whitens your teeth over time.
- Hair Mask/ Leave In Conditioner – I always use hair masks as otherwise my hair just doesn’t look its best. Coconut oil can be used as an in shower hair mask as well as a leave in simply by mixing it with water.
- Lip Balm – dry or chapped lips? Coconut oil will help, if you like the taste of coconut that is.
- Mouth Ulcers – this could also come under oil pulling as it helps, but if you have an ulcer the properties of the oil are said to help them.
- Highlighter – if you’re in favour of a dewy glow dabbing this on the top of your cheekbones looks amazing.
- Shaving Cream – we’ve all run out by accident and needed an alternative. So if you happen to have coconut oil you’re set!
- Eyelash Treatment – I haven’t tried this as I am quite lucky with my eyelashes but apparently coconut oil is a good lash boosting treatment, please let me know if you’ve tried!
- Brush Cleaner – now honestly I’d be wary about this but it works for some because of its natural antibacterial properties, however you MUST wash it all out or the oil solidifies within the brushes and ruins them!
- Makeup Remover – yes this works! I ran out of micellar water the other week and although I hated the smell it managed to remove my mascara and everything!
- Body Moisturiser/Oil – when solid this is a gorgeous moisturiser which melts into your skin and when heated it becomes a colourless oil which you can massage onto yourself and feel pampered!
These are 10 fairly normal ways to use coconut oil in your beauty routine. I’ve see other slightly stranger uses (read: lube!?) but these are ones I would try myself, have you used coconut oil for any beauty related reasons, I would love to know how well they worked!